Friday, August 24

Greg to Greg

Every once in a while, en route to and from school, I will see a friend of mine walking his dog. On occasion, the Holy Spirit will have me stop and say hello. Greg is somebody who encouraged me some years ago as I began to step out into the ministry. These days the roles have reversed and I have become his encourager.

Through the years, Greg has fallen away from a close relationship with God. Our brief conversations here and there have revealed a very angry and cold heart towards God. He is drowning in a pit of sin and despair, but he just hasn't been able to take make it back to church. All I can do is pray and keep encouraging him.

I saw Greg today, and will often times argue with God when He asks me to turn around. With two Greg Laurie brochures left, I knew that Greg was to be my next victim. (God and I made a deal early in the week. I prayed that He would give me the opportunity to give out the three brochures I still had in my car.) So, with reluctance and fear of being a pest, I turned the van around and parked next to where Greg was walking.

I said my usual hello, and handed Greg the brochure, encouraging him to go this weekend. He took the paperwork, but his body language and broken phrases indicated that he probably wouldn't be able to get himself there. I stood my ground, and said that I would be praying for him, and that God was not going to give up.

Like many times, Greg shared with me today some ways that God has been "setting him up" with reminders that He is alive and still very much at work in Greg's life. Greg told me about how some months ago, he yelled at this kid across the street who was dealing drugs. Feeling pretty low himself and really no better than that kid, Greg still reached out and extended a voice of Christ-like concern.

Well just the other day, the kid came up to Greg and shook his hand. "I want to thank you for yelling at me that day. What you did changed my life. I am off drugs, I got a job and I am finally getting my life together."

A set up, by Creator God. Amazing. Now really, how could Greg or anybody else deny that kind of set up? How has God "set you up" lately? Was it through a friend or circumstance? Is there something you have tried to run away from that God keeps bringing to the forefront?

I am not worried about my friend Greg, because where he is (in the dumps) is unfortunately where God needs him right now. Greg's disobedience will not diffuse the work of the Holy Spirit, and even more . . . it is no match for God's love.

Whether Greg makes it to Greg Laurie this weekend or not, I believe with all my heart in the power of prayer. And set up after set up - eventually Greg will crumble underneath the weight of grace.

2 comments:

Gena said...

I am praying for Greg, also, and I know it's no coincidence when I run into him. Thanks for following God's nudge to turn around and invite him; we never know what those times of personal connection might mean.

Joanne Reese said...

Gena, I know your ministry to Greg speaks volumnes him - he has told me so. You are one of few who can get past the pain, right to his heart.