Monday, August 3

Penny Pinch

I have listened attentively, but they do not say what is right. No one repents of his wickedness, saying, "What have I done?" Each pursues his own course like a horse charging into battle. - Jeremiah 8:6

At ten minutes till noon, I grabbed my items and headed toward the check-out counter. I would be meeting Mark for lunch in ten minutes. So, using my time wisely, I decided to pick up a birthday present in 9.4 minutes.

Gift found ... check. 99 cent birthday card chosen ... check. Large bow to rest on top of the package ... check. Being sensitive to the other people around me ... nowhere to be found.

I remember seeing that there was only one person in line, giving me the extra push I needed to accelerate. Dodging the end display of cosmetics, racing past the magazine aisle, pushing forward toward the conveyor belt, I ignored the blur of folks heading in the same direction.

I cut them off at the pass.

Placing my items down, and positioning the long plastic separator, I felt a sense of I accomplishment, like I had won or something. But overshadowing the imaginary trophy, I felt a pinch of shame. Was getting in line first really worth looking like an insensitive fool? I guess in the moment, I had not given that any consideration. But now, I felt ashamed to be standing with myself.

The couple that I practically ran over, proceeded to move around me, and headed out the front door. Wow, they were not looking to pay for anything - they just probably wanted to avoid the maniac with the birthday gift!

Then the real pain struck. As my eyes followed my two victims, I saw not strangers, but people I know - from church. Ugh!

There are times when our sin reveals itself in the most unsuspecting places. There I was, minding my own business ... looking to bless both the recipient of the gift and my husband for not being late - and bam! I was hit with realization of my hidden selfishness.

The next day, I ran into the person and her son (not literally this time), and apologized for my actions. She gave me a puzzled look - she didn't even know what I was talking about. I had to chuckle. Maybe God's lesson was for my correction, not to feed my shame. Hmmm ...

I choose to share this tidbit with you today, because it was a memorable snapshot in my walk with the Lord. Dear friend, when your sin hits you upside the head (and if it hasn't yet, don't worry - it will), know that God is close by, ready to tidy up the mess you've made, to receive your apology and to make things right again.

The key? Repent and ask Him to ... He is more than willing.

No comments: