Monday, August 11

Exegesis

"Therefore, everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock." ~ Matthew 7:24

As summer winds down and my kids head back to school, I will be taking my own seat at the school desk. With God's call to write, I've taken a good look at the industry, and what it will mean to really pursue my dream. If I've learned anything at all, it is just how much I still don't know.

I have longed, for years, to really sit down and study the Bible. Topical studies and book studies have been great, but they just haven't been able to reach the deep itch I have inside - to know God through His Word. Many things have attributed to my procrastination. I could get down on myself for waiting so long, but instead I choose to recognize God's perfect timing as I crack the books.

I've decided to begin a book called, "How to Read the Bible for All Its Worth." With my dictionary as my companion, I work to uncover words like exegesis and hermeneutics. (Kind of overwhelming, I know.) There was something that caught my eye this morning, as I began this edge of my seat adventure. It was written in the first page or two, and said:

"The problem is not understanding the Bible, but obeying it -- putting it into practice."

Ouch. Obedience is key to developing that love relationship with God. Are you being obedient to God's precepts today? What have you known about for years, but still haven't applied to your life?

Knowledge puffs up. It is not necessarily how much we know. It is more about how much we practice.

What are you practicing today?

No comments: