Sunday, June 1

MIracles

I thank God for my handicaps, for, through them, I have found myself, my work, and my God. - Helen Keller

Hurts, habits and hang-ups. We all have them to one degree or another. Our sermon series, LIFE RECOVERY, has touched on the many ways that imperfect people get stuck. Striving for perfection here on earth can leave many folks feeling like they've gotten the short end of the stick.

Something I have been learning about myself lately, is that I like the feeling of being in control. Okay, let me be a little bit more specific. If I feel out of control, in any area of my life, then I start to fray. What does that say about my habits and hang-ups? Well, lets just say that I have more than a few.

There are places in my own journey that have proven to be a real struggle; things about myself and others that I would change if I could. I sometimes seem to hit the same wall over and over again, wondering when God will grant me the strength to scale it. These are not quick fix situations, like something as bothersome as a hangnail. I am talking about deep wounds and the defeating behavior they carry.

Helen Keller is a perfect example of the beauty God can bring from pain. She lived a life of silent darkness, yet managed to shine despite her many handicaps. I'm sure there were things about her existence that she would have changed, but then again maybe not. Helen's obstacles became the very things that connected her to the world -- beyond a seeming solitary confinement.

What do your handicaps look like? They come in many forms. Some of us carry hurts that can be seen, while others hold hidden pain. How are you handling the places where you feel stuck? Does being out of control feel like torture to you too?

There is something so sweet about those places that never seem to make it all the way to the other side of healing. God can heal in an instant, and sometimes He chooses to. Other times God will grow us in character by withholding that quick fix. It is our dependence on God that cultivates an awareness of Him.

As I trudge through those dark and silent wheelchairs in my own life, beneath the brokenness of my heart -- there is a smile. God works miracles when a situations seem hopeless. Helen Keller is one example of many.

What will your miracle look like? Hold on . . . the darkness is temporary. It holds no real power.

No comments: