Saturday, June 7

Bridal Shower

Arrangements of pink and white flood my thoughts as the day comes to an end. Between stocking the ice and serving cake today, I watched my little sister take a giant step toward womanhood. Soon, she will become a bride.

All of the wonder of sisterhood gets magnified through landmarks such as these. There have been many "firsts" for me and Karin through the years. First boyfriends, first kisses -- but nothing tops the preparation of a wedding.

Fourteen years ago, my little sister watched as I took the spotlight. As I was showered with gifts and dressed in white, Karin gracefully took her place by my side as a bridesmaid. Being only 18 at the time, she was nowhere near ready to walk in my glass slippers. But through the years, and with much heartache, there has always been the hope of such.

With ring in hand and a pumpkin stagecoach, my sister's prince charming has finally arrived. Today, I got to watch her shine. Gifts poured in. Things from bedsheets to salad bowls arrived, sent to celebrate Karin and Brent's new life together. I felt a twinge of envy, not because she was in the spotlight, but for the sweetness of a new beginning. You only get one. And as I recorded who the gifts were coming from, I knew I was sharing something monumental.

As mothers and aunts, grandmas and sisters gathered for the celebration of my sister's new life, I discovered something remarkable about getting to watch from the sideline. As a spectator, I had a better view of the miracle. I lived vicariously through my little sister today, as roles reversed and I became the quiet servant.

My heart aches with joy at the thought of her glow. My little sister - a bride to be . . . I couldn't be prouder. This day was a shower of blessings.

No comments: