Wednesday, June 4

Decisions, Decisions

They come in all shapes and sizes. One moment you make one that is off the cuff, while the next one proves life altering. Decisions. They form our path, and tell this world who we are, and why we are.

Faced every day with several forks in the road, it is sometimes difficult to discern the correct path. Wanting to follow God and glorify Him, we stumble through a mix of victories and blunders. Making a decision about something, and having the courage to stay the course without looking back takes a lot of mind muscle. I can, at times, be tormented by the "what ifs." Regret has proven to be the worst kind of cancer.

I'll share my most recent road sign experience with you. I was headed in a certain direction yesterday. I had taken some time to pray it through, and it seemed like packing up the car and heading for the bay area was the "right" decision. My Grandpa John would be having open heart surgery the next day, and I wanted to offer my support through a visit. Bags were packed, kids pick-up arranged. I even planned on taking a day off of work in the middle of the week. As my mind rested on the mountains that lie ahead, a phone call sent the unexpected U-Turn.

"Grandpa doesn't want any visitors." What? You mean there is no reason for me to keep driving? All of this preparation was . . . . for nothing?

I tucked my tail between my legs, and with a wave of emotion turned the car around. I felt rejected, and wondered if I had missed God's instruction. Landing in my husband's arms a half an hour later was the perfect place to sort thoughts through. My Grandpa's decision to send me back home wasn't personal. It was his way of dealing with the anxiety. It was his decision.

So, I wondered, did I hear from God in the first place? I believe I did. I can't say that I understand why God sends us twists and u-turns in life. All we can do is work to make the best decisions we can, knowing that our view is limited. I trust that God was protecting me yesterday - from what? I may never know. But He promises to direct my steps.

Of all the shaky decisions we make on a daily basis, there is one thing we can be certain of. God is in control, and able to send the road block when we need it. The trick is to trust when we don't understand.

The decision is faith.

Many are the plans in a man's heart, but it is the LORD's purpose that prevails. ~ Proverbs 19:21

No comments: