Saturday, October 20

Penny

My son Michael was given a pretty interesting project to work on this week. His third grade teacher sent him home with a Penny Project.

The idea is to find a penny for every year you've been alive. Then you are instructed to write a short description of something important that happened to you that year. I thought it would be fun include Michael's list today.

1999: I was born at St. Louise Hospital in Morgan Hill at 7:30am.
2000: My family and I moved to an apartment in Turlock, California. I learned to walk and talk in my apartment.
2001: I cracked my head open on Mother's Day and had to get stitches! When they sowed me up it hurt very badly!
2002: My baby sister was born. Her name is Makayla Morgan Reese.
2003: I started soccer, but refused to play in the first four games. I also started kindergarten.
2004: I went to Boomers for my 5Th Birthday. Every time I went on the go-carts, I won.
2005: We got a swimming pool and a hot tub. I learned to swim in that year.
2006: We went to Six Flags Marine World. I also got my very first Shit-Tzu named Ginger.
2007: I played in Little League. I also went to Great America.

His use of language is just adorable! It was kind of a fun exercise - I enjoyed seeing what was most important to him. Of course, Mark and I had to coach him a little. He couldn't remember any of those events without a reminder.

I started wondering what something like that would look like if I gave it a try. What about instead of pennys and years, I documented every encounter with God? How many reminders would I need? (Quite a few I am guessing.) Would I record something once a year, or once every few minutes? What would I want to say? Would God be pleased with what is most important to me?

My friend Michele left a comment on my blog from the other day, describing what God means to her. If you get a chance, I encourage you to take a look. Michele is obviously in the habit of recording those God moments. What a wonderful habit to pick up.

So here's a penny for your thoughts . . .

. . . each one including Christ - is worth its weight in gold.

1 comment:

Kim said...

Hi My Shero,
I remember Megan doing that same project. It was a fun one. Who is Michael's teacher? Thanks for sharing. Still missing you!
Love ya,
Kim