Friday, October 12

In Tune

This morning was especially nice for me, and it was the hospitality of a friend that made all the difference.

I was "meeting" with one of my leaders from last year, planning on tying up one of the loose ends of the ministry. There are a lot of changes taking place this year, as programs and activities are being cut right and left. This particular friend was passing along some of her specialized skills as well as a disk with some documentation on it.

Makayla and I stood on the wet pavement for just a moment. After one ring of the bell, we were greeted with a smile and a hug. The instant we stepped in, we felt at home as the bright and colorful walls created a welcome of their own. Every corner, every window nook and cranny was decorated with something elegant. From family pictures to shiny pillows, table throws and curtains - her home was one of peace and elegance.

Worship music played softly, creating a sense of calmness. We were invited to step into the living room, where she and I plopped down on the couch for a special touch of the Spirit. God used this special friend to breathe life into a life-less body today. Work has been such a blessing these past two weeks - but I have to admit by the end of the week, I am spent.

One of her three kitties came in for a visit, and Makayla and I were greeted with a soft purring ball of fur. I love cats . . . but because I am not fond of cat boxes, we won't be owning one any time soon. Although I love our dog Ginger (and have had dogs most of my life) - I think I am more of a cat person. Cuddling with "Precious" this morning was a real treat.

God spoke so clearly to me through this dear woman this morning. So much of what she shared was confirmation of what God had already been telling me. We talked about priorities - God family and work. I shared with her the need to focus only on these three, in order to stay balanced and spirit-filled. Then she shared some of what God was teaching her, which was icing on the cake.

God brought the confirmation of seasons, which really met me where I am right now. I feel the need to carve even more away from my pretty bare schedule - simply for the sake of sanity. With this new job, I really don't feel I can lend any more of myself to anything other than God and family right now. Cutting everything else away seems so extreme - but it's what this heart longs for.

She quoted some of Daniel chapter two . . . and everything seemed to fit neatly into place.

"Praise be to the name of God for ever and ever; wisdom and power are his. He changes times and seasons; he sets up kings and deposes them. He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in darkness, and light dwells with him. " ~ Daniel 2:20-22

Seasons, yes . . . I have stepped into a new season. What God is requiring of me, is a whole lot more than half-hearted effort or partial obedience. Sometimes that means saying "no" to a lot of really good things. This will not be easy - but in order to fulfill God's purpose for me - it is very necessary.

My friend sent me away today with a book called, "Blessed Child" by Bill Bright and Ted Decker. It is about a little boy who is raised in a monastery. Because he is sheltered from "the world" for most of his life, he enjoys a very deep and intimate relationship with God - and is able to discern God's voice continuously.

I am so thankful for a morning of pivotal proportion. I look forward to cracking that new book. There is something so great about seeing life through another person's eyes. Something grabbed me in those visiting moments this morning . . . and I will be able to mark this day as one where I took a stand.

As I step out of some of the activities that God has brought to my mind, I look forward to stepping into the kind of solitude that will keep me in tune with Him.

No comments: