Wednesday, September 19

Chip

We had to have Matthew's tooth repaired this afternoon. Right in front, his adult tooth got chipped while swimming a few weeks ago. Over time, I've kind of gotten used to his new look. Seeing him leave the dentist office this afternoon, I was thinking that it is going to take me a while to accept such polished perfection.

Change. Like I have mentioned so many times before, in so many different story forms - it is one of life's inevitables. Like death and taxes, as someone once said (although I don't have any idea who), change will meet and greet you whether you are planning for it or not.

I can remember how upset Matthew was about chipping his tooth. What really took a blow, was his ego and the idea of his overall appearance. He felt afraid of the potential loss more than the pain his injury caused. Tears poured down his face, a kid in the prime of his sixth grade year, now had to face the reality of a chip.

I could almost see the worries form around his wrinkled forehead. Makayla (another one of our chipped kids - honestly I don't know how this happens) had the same thing happen months before. She was playing on the playground, tripped over something, and decided to catch her fall with her tooth. We chose not to get her tooth repaired because it was just a baby tooth. Personally, I think the look really adds to her character (as if she needs more spunk). So I'm sure what went through Matthew's mind, was permanence.

"What if I can't find the piece Mom? It's at the bottom of the pool!" he cried.

I assured him, like any good mom would, that in this day and age they wouldn't need that piece of enamel that now rested at the bottom of the abyss. Having a pebble-tec surface would make a search for a piece of tooth close to impossible. With it being late in the afternoon, and a mother who doesn't like getting her hair wet - a search was simply out of the question.

Just after the episode, I got right on the phone, and secured the next available appointment. Unfortunately, it was almost a whole month later. Without any pain, the dentist didn't see a need to squeeze him in. So I swallowed my son's pride, and took the appointment.

I started thinking today about how circumstances can so easily cause a chip in things. We may have plans to look pretty polished on the surface, but one smack of the pool or the monkey bars and everything changes. And how do we view some of these minor setbacks? I know for me, more times than not, I can take things to the extreme - and expect permanence.

But the great thing about the God we serve, is that He has more than enough appointments available, if we will just give him a call. He has all of the polishing tools ready, and the fills needed to repair the chips and breaks of our hearts.

So which part of your life have you gotten used to looking at? Is it broken and chipped, desperately needing repair? Have you decided that the hurt place is permanent, with no hope of healing and wholeness?

Well, let me introduce you to my Dentist - Dr. Love. If you will submit to His treatment plan, and sit through the numbness of the atheistic, God can fix you up in a jiffy.

His wonderful craftsmanship - this what I have come to know of permanence.

No comments: