Thursday, September 20

Bread Box

A blue and plastic container is perched on the edge of my desk, holding my most treasusred possesion in the whole wide world. What's inside, is what gives me life and breath. It is my sustinence, my comfort and my hope. Hundreds of treasures tucked inside of one concept. And this day, I choose to share this valuable piece of my life, with you.

You might be wondering, well what's in there? A diamond ring that's been passed down through the generations? A picuture of somebody famous - with an autograph to boot? Maybe you are thinking that I hold a rare and precious coin in my box, or the orignial copy of the Declaration of Independence.

No, none of these rarities blanket the bottom of this worn and tattered looking container. In fact, if you lifted the cracked cover, what you would discover, is a humble file of card stock - all alphabetically arranged. No, it is not a recipe box, although it would be nice to have that many dinner ideas in tow. Nor is this a collection of quotes, or my best jokes or come backs.

What resides in this alphabetized masterpiece, is God's Words that I've hidden in my heart. Scripture memorization is a challenge I took up years ago (after a nudge or two of the Holy Spirit). As a way to keep track of treasures hidden - I have decided to write them down. I've categorized each passage, by giving it a heading that pertains a very practical application. For example, I've got the following index card sitting under the letter C:

Control - Hebrews 4:10 > unbelief

Who He is: The One in control, requiring my submission and complete obedience

What He says: . . . for anyone who enters God's rest also rests from his own work, just as God did from his.

Lie: I am responsible for controlling things.

Now this format may not make very much sense to you, but let me explain. The word "control" on this particular card, is how this verse is very applicable for me. I struggle with being a control freak at times, and this particular passage of Scripture tells me that in order to enter God's rest, I must be willing to put down a thing or two - namely the need to control.

Then after the reference, Hebrews 4:10 in this case, you see the word unbelief. This comes from the teaching of the most powerful Bible study I have ever taken, "Breaking Free" by Beth Moore. In it, she introduces five benefits of being in relationship with God, and the obstacles that keep us from moving forward. Here they are:

KNOWING AND BELIEVING GOD - unbelief
GLORIFYING GOD - pride
FINDING SATISFACTION IN GOD - idolatry
EXPERIENCING GOD'S PEACE - prayerlessness
ENJOYING GOD'S PRESENCE - legalism

This particular passage of Scripture, challenges the unbelieving side of me. This is why I chose to write down "unbelief".

Then on the back of each card, I record the lie. This is what I have been believing in the natural, or what I have some how bought into through the carnality of my human mind. "The lie" always contradicts the truth of God's Word, and often times, it carries an all too familiar tune.

I share this today, not to try and sell you a legalistic way of approaching memorization, because it is not about following a bunch of rules. We can very easily err on the side of being too structured. But what it is about, is a very real God - who has chosen to reveal His very real Truth to us in very practical way.

So my question for you is this. How are you collecting the treasures of God's precepts? Do you let them go in one ear and out the other? Do they get pondered for a while, and then thrown into the recycle bin? Has God's Word truly become the Bread of Life that it was meant to be?

I challenge you today, to come up with your own system - one that fits your personality and lifestyle.

It's time fellow warrior. Don't let another moment go by, without collecting some of those crumbs.

No comments: