Thursday, August 16

Hospital Corridor

For the past two nights, I have had some pretty unsettling hospital dreams. With each dream, I find myself subject to the prison of a hospital bed, facing some kind of life threatening illness. Last night, I dreamed that I needed to have major surgery. During part of my dream, the doctor had already performed a portion of my surgery. He decided to sew me up and then leave me without any pain medication.

These dreams have brought me back to a time when I really was held captive in a hospital bed. Seeing doctor after doctor, enduring test after test. Nobody knew what was wrong with me . . . which was worse than any certainty I ended up having to face. There is something so unsettling about the unknown.

I eventually landed under the care of a young and gifted doctor, who thought opening me up would help solve the mystery. His discovery of how sick I really was left me with no options. Surgery was inevitable, and I was scared half out of my mind.

There was something so unforgettable about that experience. I don't think I have ever been that afraid before. It was the absolute worse pain I have ever experienced. Fatigue hit me like a monsoon. I was literally fighting to say alive. And then there was the unforgettable wedge of injustice that was put between myself and God. This whole nightmare is nothing I would choose to live through again.

Want to know something interesting though? As bad as it was, I wouldn't trade it for the world. I came out of that storm a little bit stronger, with a new appreciation for life and a more resolved faith. When I think back to the days when getting out of bed was excruciating . . . when getting from my bedroom to the kitchen seemed like a marathon . . . when crying was all I had the strength to do . . . when I remember that dreadful season, my heart is strangely warmed.

The pain is a distant memory, one that tries to torment me in the dark of night. But the lingering love and care of my Great Physician is what I remember most. He was there to wipe every tear. He gave me the courage to face what seemed insurmountable. My God carried me when I just couldn't take another step. He cried with me, cradled me and loved on me.

Sometimes I find myself crying when I think about that experience - not because of the heartbreaking encounter, but because God's presence was so real . . . I knew, that I knew, that I knew, that I was not suffering alone.

I often treasure the glow of that hospital corridor.

1 comment:

Kim said...

My Shero,
I may have not experience pain like that. Although with Jacob's surgeries I had similar feelings. I had my little baby boy that had to go through so much. I wish I could have taken all of it from him. But as you said, God was there every step of way and every tear that feel. That experiece changed our lives too. God does make good for those who love Him. I just wanted to say thanks for sharing. I miss you!

Love, your Shero