Saturday, May 16

Sparce Heart

If I didn't know any better, I would say that she was glaring at me. Hearty green leaves peeked at me over the rim of our kitchen garbage can. It was a decision I felt a bit guilty about - but made the choice nonetheless. It was simply time to let her go.

The house plant I speak of has decorated my office for as long as I can remember. The purchase was probably an emotional one all of those years ago. Something to spruce up the decor, no doubt. But through the years, the plant slowly became an eye sore. Disproportionate and gangly. There was really no rhyme or reason. It even pained me to look at her.

Finding a squatty and full replacement this afternoon, I decided this was the day. The ceramic pot that held my trusty companion would soon be home to a new houseplant, while "gangly" hit the garbage. It took everything in me (okay I am being a little bit dramatic) to carry her out to the curb.

Often times, I find myself wanting to do the same with some of the people in my life. Love is hard work. True, sacrificial, agape love demands everything I have to give - and so much more. Somebody I admire suddenly becomes scraggly looking, all full of sin. Instead of bringing joy to my life, the relationship begins to generate deep pain - and the thought of walking away and tossing it all seems like the only answer.

Are you in a difficult relationship, one that you are ready to give up on? At the same time does your heart split in two with the thought of saying good-bye? Sounds to me like you might be dealing with a case of love - the kind of love that only God could plant in your heart.

So you may be wondering, is all of this wrestling even worth it? Think about this: What are your leaves looking like these days? Allow the Holy Spirit to reveal the dead leaves in your own heart, and rest in knowing that no matter how ugly your thoughts toward another person have been, God will always receive your repentance with open arms.

God will never EVER give up on you.

Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins. ~ 1 Peter 4:8

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh, Joanne!

This is a beautiful site! God must be working on me, because lately he has been very present in my life. I know that he has been there all along, but I don't always notice.

Thank you for being you, and bringing a lump to my throat (which my sister-in-law says is the Holy Spirit).

You are such a great friend, and I miss you ever so much. I am thrilled to see your spiritual growth!!! You go, girl!

Extra hugs,
Jo~~
(Alias Juana)