Monday, September 10

Tree Trunk

I've been posting later in the day lately, waiting for God to send me some material. Today's nugget was found in a very panicked little girl. I saw so much of myself in her.

The kids and I were standing in line at Michael's, waiting to pay for some supplies for Matthew's next project. Being in the gate program not only means boosting up on the edjumacational kinds of skills . . . but crafty projects are a part of the culture as well. We've had a lot of fun through the years visiting this craft store run a muck. From book reports made out of paper bag puppets, to science projects calling for gobbly gook - Michael's has never let us down.

It was the middle of the afternoon. I was tired and hungry, and I felt a little bit on the cranky side. I had to pray continually that God would help me keep my complaining to myself. The kids will often times mirror my moods - and let's just say that cranky doesn't look pretty on any one of us.

Toes were tapping, arms were getting tired. Michael and Makayla were swarming around the candy that was placed at eye level. Hopping from one square of linoleum to another, they didn't have a care in the world. Matthew stood at my side, explaining in detail the book he would be doing the project on. I tried my hardest to listen, but the noise inside my head managed to drown out most of his words.

Then it happened. A soft and sullen cry came from the aisle to my left. It was a steady noise, mirroring the rhythm of footsteps. But slow steps became fast ones, and almost immediately, a dainty little girl shuffled around the corner, discovering that she was lost.

"Daddy, I can't find you!" This was spoken through panicked sobs. "Where are you?"

In that moment, there was something that made me forget the acid that was forming in my stomach. I wasn't paying so much attention anymore to the new cashier who was taking forever to work on a customer's return. Every thought, and opinion of my own was tossed aside, as I longed to help her.

She wasn't my child - I had my own three within a careful distance. But my compassion was no less. Even though I knew that she would be okay, and all of the adults surrounding her knew it, this little girl was convinced that she was in grave danger. She had been exploring (like all curious little girls like to do), looking at all of the gizmo and gadgets Michael's has to offer. And somehow, she managed to wander off.

How many times have we done that same kind of thing? We will be moseying along the path of life, hand in hand with our Heavenly Father . . . and then one distraction after another takes us down the wrong aisle. It could be the sparkle of glitter, or the fascination with a cornucopia of yarn. It doesn't take much. And like that little girl, we can find ourselves miles away from the original destination.

One sniff too many of that silk flower, and suddenly we discover that we have taken a wrong turn. Everything that looked familiar suddenly seems foreign and uninviting. Panic takes it's place, and we begin to feel abandoned by God.

What did this frightened little girl decide to do? Did she try to re-trace her steps, and logically come to some conclusion? No! She simply cried out for her Daddy. With everything in her, she shouted for safety. I am happy to report that this little cutie was reunited with her family moments later. I watcher her wipe the tears from her eyes as she grabbed on to daddy's tree trunk of a leg.

When God wants to teach us a lesson, He is never one to be crafty. We don't have to wonder if He will leave or forsake us. God's Word says that He never will. As we wander around from one project to another, God is constant amidst the confusing choices. His ways are simple, His load is light.

And when we find ourselves in what we perceive as grave danger - a tree trunk of a leg will be waiting patiently, for the embrace of tiny arms.

No comments: