Friday, September 14

Practice

Practice makes perfect. I like the sound of that today. I am hoping that each day's post is sharpening me in the language arts arena. I struggle to come up with something to write about today, but I have to admit - I do have a few more ideas than I did this morning.

God is really good at bringing great material my way. People are my favorite thing to write about (and to watch of course). It think today, my subject will be the the goofiest one of all - myself.

Let's see, I could write about the events of my day - but there is really nothing out of the ordinary to report on. I worked some on ministry stuff this morning. Then Mark and I tackled the bills, and afterwards rewarded ourselves by cleaning all of the windows in the house. Then we picked up the kids and took them clothes shopping. Not a single one of them could fit into their jeans anymore.

These are just a couple of the things on Mark's to-do list for his week off. As the day comes to an end we find that windows are sparkly, the creditors are happy, and our kids are clothed. We extend genuine to our perfect Provider.

What was so significant about today, is that there was nothing really so significant - and yet my heart could just burst with joy. I am surrounded by a beautiful family, we have a lovely home and God has given my plenty of soul satisfying things to work on.

I like my life. I haven't always been able to say that you know. There was a time, several years ago, when I lived a very empty and shallow existence. I used to never feel like I fit in - anywhere. I was afraid of everybody, and everything. I dreaded what was to come, because I wouldn't dare dream up anything good.

I used to look at other people - anybody else, and wished that I had their life. It didn't matter too much what their circumstances were like . . . rich, poor, popular or a loner . . . anybody elses life looked better than mine.

Why I loathed myself so much, I don't really know. I remember feeling like there was hope somewhere out there, but everything I tried had proven to be anything but hopeful. Hanging out with the wrong crowd, pouring myself into ballet, falling head over heels for one guy after the other. These were just some of the ways I tried to make myself feel important. All the while, I died inside - knowing that none of those masks represented the real me.

Then the day came . . . the Lover of my heart and soul came to the rescue. Everything I looked for in other people - I found in Jesus. No longer did I feel out of place and ashamed. I felt valued, precious and dearly cared for. And I will even go as far as to say that I felt like royalty. I've said it before, there is nothing in the whole wide world like knowing that you belong to the King of Kings.

Well, for not having anything to write about, once again God has been so faithful. What could be better than being able to say, "I like my life."

Practice makes perfect . . . and a perfected view of myself could only come from Him.

No comments: