Thursday, June 19

Numbers

I am always up for a good stare in your face kind of challenge. One arrived at the tail end of our study last night, and I simply could not resist. The opportunity to brag about God? It's on.

There are some circles that like to play the numbers game. Success is bent on how many walk through the door. I used to be an avid player, that is, until God revealed its shallowness. Through some pretty painful and humbling experiences, God has shown me over and over again that it is not about the numbers.

I can remember meetings that I've prepared, sitting all alone because nobody showed up - not a soul. Talk about wondering if you are hearing from God. Other times I have poured hours in with hopes that the room would be filled with women eager to hear from God, only to find a precious few walk through the door. Disappointment used to linger, but I've done a lot of growing up. God is always faithful to those who answer the call - always. We are not able, in our own human limitations, to bring any kind of magic number together in Jesus' name. God decides. It is our job to go with the flow.

The flow last night? It was a tsunami. I hesitated posting about this, because the miracle this time is in the numbers. There was nothing I did any different - there is no magic formula to explain the phenomenon. After running the same kind of copies and preparing the same kind of coffee, women poured in last night -- seventy of them. I have never seen such a great response. Women are hungry, and the time has come for several to gather. God's appointed time has come.

I continue to hold the number loosely, knowing that God has a tendency to move outside of every kind of box. My main concern are the individuals who have joined us for the journey. That, my friends, is the miracle. Hearts longing to connect with their Creator, women willing to take that next step with God.

Seventy five women for a single study? Forty-five people signed up to be baptized this Sunday? Brothers and sister, Pastor Dave's prediction is finding fruition. Something IS happening. And as God's servants, our place -- is on our face.

1 comment:

Jason Hicks said...

Awesome Post ! I agree it is NOT about the numbers...unless those numbers represent lives finding Christ! You'll see what I mean...look for my post tonight