Wednesday, April 23

Slow Down

In case you're wondering who this character is . . . this is a picture of me - minus the bathrobe and bedroom slippers. As I recover from surgery, you won't find this cat making any fast moves. As a matter of fact, turning around too quickly sends my equilibrium south and my knees over a fault line. Pathetic, I know - but this is my reality for the moment.

Going back to the story of the tortoise and the hare, if you think about it, a tortoise would have a much better view of the scenery than the hare. Now I know that the hare and his spectacular speed gives him a much better chance of winning the race -- but when it comes to the Kingdom race, things are judged differently. God is not so interested in who gets there first, the trick is to finish well.

Finishing well for me means striving to walk in integrity. For example, finishing projects I said I would complete. This includes anything from conquering a good read to nurturing a dear friendship. So much of life waits for my attention - but I have to slow down in order to take notice. Ever been there? You're couch bound for a short time due to illness or injury, and while putting your feet up, you begin to notice so much more than your need for a pedicure?

Seasons where I'm forced to slow down can be so rich and sweet. Lessons that I normally would miss out on, are brought brightly into view. Aside from fatigue that makes me feel like a 98 year old woman, I am really enjoying this break. Slowing down is giving me the opportunity to really scope out the details of God's amazing presence. He's here . . . he's there . . . He's everywhere -- and He longs for us to notice.

Take heed and learn from our slothful friend the tortoise. Slow Down. Smell those roses. Learn from his careful technique - he runs not haphazardly, but with a purpose.

God is never in a hurry - should we be?

No comments: